Why Employers are Drawn to Online Boot Camp Graduates
Many of today’s leading employers are beginning to embrace new models of education, including online learning. We see a number of employers hiring online coding boot camp graduates due to their work ethic and combination of hard skills (technical knowledge) and soft skills (adaptability, collaboration, creativity). Because of the nature of a fast-paced online boot camp, learners can quickly pick up on core skills and best practices while building a robust portfolio of coding projects to show off to potential employers.
One thing that stands out about online boot camp graduates is their ability to learn fast. The ability to learn and adapt quickly is essential for anyone working in the tech landscape. Proceeding through the fast-paced nature of an online coding boot camp tells an employer that you’re ready for a rapidly moving, demanding career.
While a four-year degree is highly valuable, an online boot camp allows for a particular concentration on a specific language or hard skill, while for a degree holder, the focus is typically on forming a strong theoretical understanding of a concept.
Which Companies Hire Boot Camp Graduates?
Top companies are starting to recognize the skills and talents that an online boot camp education can offer. With the demand for Coding and Web Development professionals far outpacing the current supply, companies like the ones below are looking to hire skilled candidates from a wide range of educational backgrounds.
- AppleThis world-leading technology powerhouse recruits for both entry-level and experienced positions without requiring a formal education. Instead, Apple is looking for strong communication skills, attention to detail and collaboration—all skills that can be learned through an online coding boot camp.Recent job postings at Apple: Genius, Design Verification Professional, Project Manager, iPhone Buyer, Apple Technical Specialist, AppleCare at Home Team Manager, Apple TV Product Design Intern, Business Traveler Specialist, Part Time Reseller Specialist.
- GoogleArguably one of the most well-known companies in the world, Google recruits for highly-skilled technology roles, with many only requiring what Google refers to as “equivalent practical experience.”Recent job postings at Google: Product Manager, Recruiter, Software Developer, Product Marketing Manager, Research Scientist, Developer Relations Intern, UX Developer, SAP Cloud Consultant, Administrative Business Partner.
- IBMThis industry-leading technology company hires for top roles that require technical experience and industry knowledge. Online boot camp learners are equipped with in-depth technical expertise and knowledge that is supplied by industry professionals.Recent job postings at IBM: Financial Blockchain Professional, Lead Recruiter, Contract & Negotiations Professional, Product Manager, Entry Level System Services Representative, Research Staff Member, Client Solution Executive.
- Bank of AmericaAs one of the largest companies in the industry, Bank of America offers a wide variety of highly-skilled roles in multiple fields. For many of these roles, the company is seeking candidates from a wide range of educational backgrounds, including boot camps.Recent job postings at Bank of America: Client Service Representative, Client Associate, Analyst, Executive Assistant, Relationship Manager, Consumer Banking Market Manager, Treasury Solutions Analyst, Small Business Consultant.
- Penguin Random HouseThe world’s leading book publisher Penguin Random House removed degree requirements in recruiting back in 2016. The company attracts talented candidates in highly-skilled roles from a very diverse range of educational backgrounds.Recent job postings at Penguin Random House: Marketing Designer, Publicity Assistant, Senior Manager of Finance, Production Assistant, Senior Editor, Production Editor, Art Director and more.For many of today’s employers, it no longer matters if you have a bachelor’s degree, an associate’s degree or post-secondary education. Instead, employers are looking for a blend of soft and hard skills, combined with technical knowledge. These skills can be taught in a traditional four-year degree education, but also through an online coding boot camp. Today it is entirely possible to become a full-stack developer, coder or another skilled technology professional with hard work, dedication and the help of an online boot camp.
Ready to start your online coding journey? Explore The Online Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin designed to prepare you for a career in one of the fastest growing industries.